Friday, November 28, 2008

Anthea's Autumn Cake

FYI, the closest I've ever come to a famous person is finding this recipe (from a friend of Maureen McCormick a.k.a. Marcia Brady) on the Internet. That said, this cake is famously delicious at my house and any place I take it! Plus, it is the easiest cake in the world to make.

First, gather your ingredients:

1 large (29 oz) can of pumpkin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cloves
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup melted butter

Whipped Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream

Whenever possible, I like to use a mortar and pestle to grind my spices. It awakens the flavors (and helps get rid of pent-up energy!)


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease your 9 x 13 pan.

In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, brown sugar, spices, slightly-beaten eggs, milk, and salt and stir.

In case you don't know what "slightly beaten" means, and you're a stickler for following directions (and, as a teacher, I say, "God bless you, Child."), it means that you've broken the yoke and stirred it a little; stick a fork in each yolk....And just lift them up until the eggs fall back into the bowl.


Pour batter into the pan. If you forgot to add the salt, pour the batter back into the bowl, stir it in, then dump it back again, making sure to wipe up your mess ;)

Sprinkle the yellow cake mix on top.




[Yes, my pan looks "dirty," but it's actually called "seasoned," (kind of like my house right now.)]

Take a fork and gently run it through the batter to partially mix the two; don't overdo it, but you should see some of the pumpkin peeking through.


(Be sure to wear your daughter's Home Ec project while you cook, as it adds to the flavor.)

Melt the butter. Pour the melted butter over the top,

and place it in the oven to bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. (Make sure that you watch the time when you are preparing this for Thanksgiving meal and want it to be still-warm when you get there. Don't start it late, as that will make you about 20 minutes late for dinner. I'm just sayin'.)

Allow to cool, and top with whipped cream.

Yes, I'm aware that this is a tiny piece, but it was my third one today (Friday after Thanksgiving). Hey, someone has to get rid of these leftovers; I'm just doing my part!


For a printer-friendly version of this recipe, click here.
blog comments powered by Disqus