Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Grandma's Cherry Torte

This is about the easiest dessert ever; simple ingredients, simple directions. Perfectly delicious and always requested around here. The recipe comes from Mr.4444's mom.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup butter

1 pkg Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

1 can cherry pie filling
1 container of Cool-Whip

First, cut the butter into the flour. I do this with butter knives,
because the thought of touching butter with my bare fingers grosses me out. If you're dying to go that route, here's how. Otherwise, just keep scissoring the knives through the butter and flour until it looks like this (loose crumbs.)Next, pat the mixture into an unprepared pan.

If you don't want people to see your tree-frog fingers, you could get a hand-double, like this (Thanks, Kendall!)
Put that in the oven at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, mix the creamed cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth.

After taking the crust from the oven, allow it to cool a bit before the next step.

Spread the creamed cheese mixture onto the crust (my mouth is watering as I type this!)

Then, just top with cherry pie filling (or any pie filling, I suppose, but cherry is our favorite.) I have to admit that I opened two cans; I like a lot of cherries. I save the extra for ice cream
topping or something.

Now, if you're like some people, at this point you'll remember that you forgot:

a) to take the Cool-Whip out of the freezer a few hours ago to thaw
OR
b) to take the thawed Cool-Whip to the potluck with the torte
OR
c) to buy Cool-Whip at all

Don't worry; this torte is delicious with or without the Cool-Whip. (Not that I would know, of course...)
blog comments powered by Disqus