Saturday, June 27, 2009

Festive Tossed Salad

Got so many requests for the recipe for this salad I made Mom's 80th birthday party that I thought I should put it up here. It's always a big hit. I didn't have time to take the blow-by-blow shots, but I've got the recipe and a few pics here for you....

Ingredients:10 cups Romaine lettuce, torn
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
onion, finely chopped
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2-3 teaspoons poppy seeds
1 Braeburn apple, cored and cubed
1 pear, cored and cubed
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 to 1 cup cashews
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese

In a blender, blend sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, onion, and salt until well-blended. Gradually add oil while continuing to blend on low. Then, add the poppy seeds and blend a little more. Pour into dressing container.

Prepare lettuce. Just before serving the salad, mix lettuce with dressing and place in a BIG bowl. Top with apples, pears, cranberries, cheese, and cashews (I like to leave it all on top and let people dig in from there (because it is so pretty!)

Enjoy!
blog comments powered by Disqus