Friday, July 19, 2013

Tina's Oatmeal-Banana-Chocolate-Chip Pancakes

Ever since I first made my cousin Tina's wonderful pancakes, they have been a family favorite. This morning, I made them for out-of-town guests (college girls) who were blown away by their deliciousness. One of them declared very seriously that they were the "finest" pancakes she'd ever eaten, so I figure it's about time I share the recipe. It's very simple:


Dry Ingredients:
1 cup flour (and extra, if needed) I used a mixture of wheat and white flour this time.
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup oatmeal (I like the long-cooking kind)
1/2 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients:
1 ripe banana (mashed)
2 Tbls honey
1 egg
1 1/4 cups milk
3 Tbls oil

Mix liquid into dry ingredients with a wire whisk, just until blended. Let sit for about 10 minutes. If needed, thicken with extra flour.


I served these with my husband's maple-butter syrup: Mix room-temperature butter into warm (not hot) homemade maple syrup. One of the girls is from Canada. If you know anything about Canadians, you know they know their maple syrup. She was over-the-moon over ours :)

For six girls, I tripled the recipe, and each girl ate 2-3 6" pancakes. They were eaten so quickly that I forgot to take pics of the finished product, but don't worry; there's always next time!

Tripled Amounts:
Dry Ingredients:
3 cups flour (and extra, if needed) I used a mixture of wheat and white flour this time.
7 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cup oatmeal (I like the long-cooking kind)
1 1/2 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients:
3 ripe bananas (mashed)
6 Tbls honey
3 eggs
3 3/4 cups milk
9 Tbls oil (an ounce more than 1/2 cup)
blog comments powered by Disqus