Sunday, August 18, 2013

Mango Slaw

This recipe was offered to me by 93-year-old Cousin Ed, who assured me it is one of his popular recipes. If he hadn't insisted that I wouldn't even taste the sauerkraut*, I would have politely accepted it and dropped it in the recycling bin, but Ed also shared his wonderful Chicken Pasta Salad, so I had to trust him.


Ingredients:
1 15-oz can sauerkraut (preferably Frank's)
1 cup sugar or artificial sweetener
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 whole mango, chopped (or one large jar) Ed says jarred mango is the best; it's nice and juicy. I agree.)

I took the simple ingredients with my family on a camping trip, figuring it would be easy to assemble. It was. First, drain the jarred mango and sauerkraut.


I measured the sugar at home. It was my first time using sugar that wasn't refined, so it's brown, "in the raw." (It tastes like sugar.haha)


Dice the mango and celery.


Mix everything together. I did this in a Ziploc bag, which worked beautifully.


 I prepped the salad in the morning, for dinner that night. It turned quite juicy by dinner, 


so I used a slotted spoon to serve it, 
along with pan-fried walleye, little red potatoes, and marinated veggies.



You may have noticed the smallish portion on my plate (I was nervous!).
However, I'm very happy to report that Ed was absolutely right;
this salad is a winner, and every one of my family members said that I should make it again,
so it doesn't get better than that.

*Nothing against sauerkraut, of course; I adore it with spareribs and wouldn't dare a bratwurst without it, but in a salad?! I'm so glad I bravely ventured into this recipe :)
blog comments powered by Disqus