Thursday, August 27, 2015

Roasted Tomato Zugghetti

I can't believe I've lived 52 years without ever tasting roasted tomatoes! They're DELICIOUS! My cousin Tina shared her method with me last week, and I've made them three times already! Today I decided to top some spiralized zucchini with the tomato loveliness and share it here for future reference. Mr.4444, a pasta lover, proclaimed this "absolutely wonderful." Paired with a chicken breast, he proclaimed, "If I could have a meal that tasted this good, I'd eat healthy all the time!"

Ingredients:

small tomatoes, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces (I used Romas, but I don't think it matters.)
minced garlic (for this version, I used one gigantic clove, but Tina uses "a ton of garlic" in hers)
basil (or your favorite fresh herb) I used about ten leaves.
one three-fingered pinch of salt
olive oil (I used about one tablespoon.)
aged balsamic vinegar (I just drizzled it, maybe two tablespoons)

zucchini (or you could also use pasta, of course)
Parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions:
Cut the tomatoes into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces and place in a bowl.

Mince the garlic.

To prep the basil, stack the leaves,


 roll them up.



and slice into tiny ribbons.



Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic. I used The Oilerie's absolutely wonderful 25-year-old aged balsamic vinegar (which I could drink straight out of the bottle, I swear).


Add the salt and toss to coat.


Pour the mixture onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet.


Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes. You will be tempted to take it out early when you start to smell that wonderful garlicky aroma, but it's best to keep them in there until the liquid from inside the tomatoes is mostly gone.


Speaking of liquid, you should have a little "puddle" of liquid beneath the finished tomatoes; give them a stir and do not discard any excess!

I served mine over spiralized zucchini that I'd heated up for one minute (just to take the chill out). (I prefer my vegetables al dente; the little crunch gives it character, if you ask me.) Top with a little grated Parmesan cheese if desired.


I'll have you know that I was the envy of all of my friends who were eating lunch at the same time with me; the aroma was absolutely wonderful, and it was very satisfying! This recipe makes enough for two generous servings.

I made it for dinner on Saturday night.

"Wow!"
"I'm not even disappointed that it's not pasta!"
"This is the best healthy food I've ever eaten in my life!"

Mr.4444 keeps singing the praises of this meal.

I hope you like it, too.

P.S. Wondering if you can use balsamic vinegar that isn't aged? I have no idea; if you try it, let me know!
blog comments powered by Disqus