Sunday, March 3, 2013

Dave's Bleu Cheese Salad Dressing

I have a memory of the only time I've ever ate bleu cheese on purpose in the last 50 years. In my childish innocence (and likely exuberance), I'd poured a generous amount on a lettuce salad and apparently didn't like it, because the rest of that memory includes me sitting alone at the diningroom table for what seems like hours, just me and that salad. I don't know how the story ended.

Ever since that day, I have avoided bleu-cheese anything. Last summer, though, I accidentally, unknowingly, bought blue cheese crumbles instead of feta cheese crumbles for our favorite salad.  Only after I had eaten my salad and proclaimed it "delicious, as usual!" did I realize my "mistake." Who knew that bleu cheese was actually palatable?! Dave Anderson did, apparently, as he shared this wonderful recipe in a family cookbook that was published years ago. Today, another cousin raved about it, so I bravely shed my childish fear and made a batch. Boy, am I glad I did; it's delicous!!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup real mayonnaise
3 dashes of Worcestchire sauce
3 dashes of Frank's Red Hot Sauce
3 dashes of garlic salt
4 ounces of bleu cheese crumbles

Shake all but the cheese in a dressing container. Stir in the cheese. Chill.

Serve over leafy greens and salad fixins of your choosing.
blog comments powered by Disqus