Thursday, January 8, 2009

White Chicken Chili

You know how you sometimes meet "strangers" on-line with whom you feel an immediate connection? That's how I felt when I met Charrette. She's just plain wonderful, and I feel blessed to easily refer to her now as a friend (no longer my "blogging friend.") I feel we are just kindred spirits, and when she sent me some of her family recipes for soups, I knew she was my long lost sister. Thanks, Charrette, for sharing your family treasures.

Mr.4444 and I went about cooking like maniacs last weekend. Seriously, we just didn't stop. In less than two days, we made pea soup, white chicken chili, and scalloped potatoes and ham. Pure craziness, and I am very glad we did, because we now have a freezer full of goodness. Here's the first of Charrette's gems...White Chicken Chili. I feel honored to call her friend, as she is incredibly talented writer, painter, mother, and friend. Make this soup, and you'll see why she is also a fabulous cook!

Ingredients:
2 tbls butter
2 tbls olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 tbls garlic, minced
10 oz pkg frozen corn
2 tbls flour
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup half-and-half
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 tbls chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 rotisserie chicken, meat only, diced
2 cans cannelini (white) beans, drained
1 can diced, mild, green chilis (4 oz) drained
salt and pepper to taste

Garnish: shredded cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro

This blog has helped me get my kitchen cleaned. It's the first thing I do before every post; clean. And now, in my new "Keepin' it Real" fashion, I will show you the view out of the kitchen as I began to cook. Clearly, I only clean the kitchen. There is a table somewhere under all of that crap. (And yes, the tree was still up on Sunday, January 4th.)

For you visual learners out there, here is a photo of the ingredients:

The blue containers hold the half-and-half, garlic, flour, and diced onion. And, because I can't lie, I'll confess that something in this photo is a fake! Mr.4444 had run to the store for me, because we were out of Tabasco. Here's the Tabasco body-double:

That's liquid smoke, which I did NOT put in this soup!

Okay, so heat the butter and oil in a dutch oven over med-low heat. This pan...I can't tell you how much we love it (because no one's paying me to do so.) ONLY KIDDING! It was a Christmas gift to Mr.4444 one year and was purchased at Kohl's. It's nice and heavy.


BTW, in case you don't know, here's how to mince garlic; lay your knife over it and press on it as though giving it the Heimlich Maneuver. Put your belly into it; that makes it better.
 
(See, that's why I don't exercise; how could I mince garlic without having a gut to add the "oomph" to my cooking? I just like to sacrifice like that.) When you squoosh the garlic out of it's skin like that, they separate nicely, and you can then chop up the garlic tiny-like:


Usually, Mr.4444 cuts my onions for me, but I relieved him of the task, because he was willing to go to the store for me. Plus, what I haven't told him is that ever since I got contacs, my eyes do not tear when I cut onions :)

Add the onions, garlic, and frozen corn and saute until tender.
   
Sprinkle flour over mixture, and stir well.

  (At this point, you might notice that your onions are a little big. Break out the scissors and cut them up if you like. :)
Cook for another "15" minutes. (Here's where I parted from Charette's instructions, because I simply do not have the patience to stir a pot for 15 minutes. I lasted seven, which is fine, because we like our veggies al dente anyway!) Slowly add chicken broth (canned this time, but your own would be very nice.)
 
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and add spices and remaining ingredients.

 
Remember, I like to grind my herbs, rather than buying them that way.
  

Simmer over low heat 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
   Top with cilantro, grated cheese and sour cream.

At this point, you might notice that the soup is not very thick, in spite of the flour thing. Call your friend who gave you the recipe, and she will confess that she forgot to tell you to puree one of the cans of drained cannelini beans!

It's just not worth it to fly to her house and spank her. Besides, it tastes fantastic either way! :)

Thanks, Sis!
blog comments powered by Disqus