Sunday, December 26, 2010

Blueberry French Toast


Holy cow! Until I came over here to find the recipe for my Blueberry French Toast, I had no idea that I'd failed to put it here! Well, it's too late now for the blow-by-blow photos, but I do have the most important part--the end result, so I'll just cut to the chase with the recipe.

[update: A year later, I added the pics :)]


This is the perfect recipe for morning company, 
as you can easily prepare it the night before
 and just throw the rest of it together 30 minutes before breakfast.

Ingredients:
8 oz. French bread* (preferably a little stale)
6 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cornstarch
2 12-oz frozen (or fresh) blueberries
2 tbls melted butter

Slice the bread 3/4" thick. I use this amazing saw-type knife that I picked up at my local farmer's market from a guy selling them for $20.  I wish I had bought several, as this thing is a beauty.  



Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, and baking powder and dip the bread slices into the mixture. 

Place on a rimmed baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and set in fridge overnight.


Mix sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch and set aside. 


I usually do this the night before, 
so it's ready when I need it in the morning.  
This is especially nice for us, because we always eat this on Christmas morning, 
and I and throw it together quickly.)


In the morning, grease a 9 x 13 pan. Rinse berries 


and toss with sugar. 



Spread blueberries in the bottom of pan. 


Place bread pieces (wettest-side-up) on top of the blueberries, cutting pieces to fit if necessary. 


Brush with melted butter. 


Yes, I know; what was I thinking, just pouring the butter over the top?!
 Don't worry--I spread it around with the back of a spoon.

This was also the point when I remembered reading a review of Mrs4444 Cooks,
in which the reviewer said that everything I have hear is loaded with fat/sugar and horrible for you.
(Yes, I'm paraphrasing.)
Anyway, I remembered her statement when I was pouring the butter,
and I thought to myself, 
"Take that!"haha

Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. 


Serve with powdered sugar (but be careful--It's easy to accidentally inhale powdered sugar! 
Keep a drink close by!haha).


Serves 4


*If you wait til Christmas eve to buy the bread, you might be in trouble; French bread is in high demand for the holidays; don't be afraid to shop early. Stale French bread works the best, anyway.
blog comments powered by Disqus