Saturday, July 16, 2011

Allan's Guacamole


"No offense, Barb, but that is, by far, the best guacamole I have ever eaten."

Need any more convincing to try this?

If so, you're too stubborn. (See a therapist.) 

Personally, until I found Lawrey's Guacamole Mix, I never liked guacamole. 
I fell in love, though, and so did everyone who tried my guac. 
Then the bastards stopped making it!
 I couldn't find it anywhere.
Thank goodness,
because if they hadn't stopped making my favorite guacamole mix,
I would never had made my brother-in-law, Allan's, real guacamole, 
the recipe for which has been patiently waiting for me in our family cookbook 
for two years.

Ingredients:


2 ripe avocados (I used 2.5)
1/4 cup peeled, finely-chopped Italian plum tomato
(oops. Just realized I forgot to peel it. Whatever.)
4 tsp seeded and minced jalapeno (I didn't measure--just used one whole jalapeno)
1/4 chopped onion (red, yum)
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice (yes, a whole lemon is too much, IMO)
2 T freshly squeezed lime juice (see above)
1 tsp Worcestershire (pronounced "woostasheer")
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 tsp salt (We like sea salt.)
6 turns freshly-ground black pepper

See that? All natural ingredients. 
(Discounting the fact that I have no clue what * Worcestershire sauce is.)

First, do all of the mincing, dicing, etc.


and throw it all together

   
Don't forget the cilantro--Wow--That was such a great addition :)


Cut the avocados in half, take the pits out. 
Scoop the flesh out with a nice-sized table spoon and mash it with a potato masher until it's still chunky.
Mix everything together. 
Some would say to chill it for a bit, to give the flavors a chance to "meld." 
We skipped that step and inhaled it.
It was fantastic.

The only change I will make next time is to probably cut the Worcestershire sauce amount in half.
Maybe. It really was delicious. Very flavorful.


Good-bye, Lawrey's.

I am so over you.


From Wikipedia:
The ingredients of a traditional bottle of Worcestershire sauce sold in the UK as "The Original & Genuine Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce" are malt vinegar (from barley), spirit vinegar, molasses, sugar, salt, anchoviestamarind extract, onions, garlic, spice, and flavouring.[8] The "spice, and flavouring" is believed to include clovessoy sauce, lemons, pickles and peppers.[8] 

blog comments powered by Disqus