Sunday, March 10, 2013

"Best Muffin Ever!"

The name of this recipe is inspired by Mr.4444's declaration while eating one of these moist, somewhat-healthy muffins.



I really should call them "Everything But the Kitchen Sink Muffins," because that's what I added,



but the recipe on which I based this one is called Banana-Blueberry Buttermilk Bread. Regardless, these muffins are wonderful, so if you're looking for something yummy to make for breakfast, you've come to the right recipe! (They are also, apparently, delicious without my additions of chia seeds, flax seeds, pecans, and oatmeal, so don't feel like you can't make them without those.)

I always feel guilty throwing bananas away. Yes, I'm aware that they can be frozen, but I often do that and never use them. This morning, I decided to actually do something with the beautifully-ripe bananas on my counter.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup flax seeds
1 cup white flour
1 1/4 cups wheat flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

3/4 cup (plus a splash) low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup (plus a splash) your favorite oil (I used grapeseed, because that's what I had.)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (I used Splenda brown sugar.)

1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans, optional, of course.)

Whisk buttermilk, oil, eggs, and sugar in a large bowl. Add bananas.



Mix dry ingredients together.



and fold into banana mixture, just until blended. This is when I decided to throw the extra splashes of oil and buttermilk in; I knew I had added one and a half cups more of dry ingredients that weren't in the original recipe, so I felt it needed a little more moisture. If you leave the chia seeds, oatmeal, pecans or flax out, don't worry about the extra moisture.

Spoon into greased muffin tins; it'll all fit, like this:



and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

Cool before eating 


or take your chances :)




blog comments powered by Disqus